A post came up in my Facebook memories from a couple of years ago, so I thought I’d give y’all a bit of an update on how 2015 has treated me. If you’d like to play along, feel free to leave your answers in the comments!
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
I made some really adult decisions to better my life and decided to put myself first. That meant no longer spending time with people who didn’t value me or my time, and I’m so glad I made that decision. Also, I made a yoga video, did a live TV cross and did a radio interview.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Mine were “eating better, exercising more, rehabilitating old injuries and doing things that make me feel good”. I saw a nutritionist, was doing great with the exercise until I fell quite ill, and did a lot of things that made me feel great! The injury rehab didn’t go so well – I dislocated my knee and am now awaiting surgery. I have set some goals for 2016 as well, keep an eye out for those on January 1st.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two very dear friends of mine had a baby this year and I cried buckets. She’s adorable and I’m so pleased she’s with us. Joan, you were 100% worth the wait.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I didn’t talk about this on my blog at all, because it’s really personal and not something I wanted to share at the time, but in September a friend I’ve known since I was 17 died. We used to spend a lot of time together but over the years we drifted apart a bit as our lives took us in different directions. I’m still really gutted he’s gone – I think about him every day and my heart still can’t understand that someone I’ve known for 14 years just isn’t there anymore. I’ve got so many amazing memories of the adventures we shared together, and I’ll always treasure those.
5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in NZ, and dreamed of far away adventures. I did a bit of travel around NZ though – I went to Gisborne, Whangarei, Taupo, Hamilton, Karikari Peninsula and Rotorua.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Travel. There was not nearly enough travelling done in 2015 and I thoroughly intend to make up for that in 2016.
7. What date(s) from 2015 will remain etched your memory, and why?
Nothing was significant enough to etch a date in my memory. Honestly, I can barely remember my anniversary, don’t make me remember other dates as well!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I made it through my first year of self employment and am still going strong!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t think I had any failures, but I did have a few learning curves. I could have spent some of my time and money more wisely. Oh and I did have an epic fail where I tripped over the pavement and faceplanted onto the concrete. Ouch.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I have been living with a mystery illness since June (despite countless visits to the doc and a barrage of medical tests, they’re still guessing) and dislocated my knee in October. Plus that whole tripping over the pavement incident.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A swim bra bikini! It fits like a dream, I feel confident (and supported) and it’s lovely to swim in!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Doug’s – for putting up with me when I was stressed and grumpy and took it out on him, and for making me go to sleep instead of letting me work for 29 hours straight.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I witnessed so many people treat others badly. Just stop that. I’m so tired of people treating each other like crap, can’t y’all just be decent bloody humans for goodness sake?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, clothes, food … pretty standard really. Oh, and I bought an iPhone 6S Plus. So worth it!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Blogging. Fat babes loving fashion. Empowering people to love themselves.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2015?
Alive by Sia
Hello by Adele
Freaks by Savage and Timmy Trumpet
Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Not that it matters, but thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Financially poorer but my heart is richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending time with my friends and family.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work. I’m determined to nail that work/life balance!
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
I had a quiet Christmas with my family, watching movies and playing boardgames.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
At one point it seemed like the answer was going to be the IRD, but it turned out to be my parents, who live in Australia.
22. Did you fall in love in 2015?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
I watched Lightbox obsessively and can’t pick just one favourite. Maybe Outlander. Or Dance Moms.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t have time for hatred, it’s way too energy consuming.
26. What was the best book you read?
“Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls : A Handbook for Unapologetic Living” by Jes Baker. I’m going to post a review of it next week, because I think it’s something everyone should know about.
27. What was/were your greatest musical discoveries?
Sia and Adele.
28. What did you want and get?
An Apple Watch, an iPhone 6S Plus, a Kikki K planner and many many doggy cuddles.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I feel like I have to say Star Wars: The Force Awakens for pure fangirlness. I also really enjoyed Tomorrowland, Home and Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and I was in Gisborne with my family for my birthday. I went for brunch with my mama and then had dinner with the rest of the whanau in the evening. I’m sure I did other stuff in between but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was. Spending time with some of my faves is always a winner though.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More money for less work/stress.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Fearless, back to basics.
34. What kept you sane?
The support of my friends – especially Cassie and Glam.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I honestly don’t know where to begin. Body politics in general, the unnecessary expenditure on the flag referendum, and rape culture. I think I’ve gotten more political as I’ve gotten older because I have realised that it’s not okay to keep quiet about injustices. In order to get positive change happening, we need people who are willing to put their voices out there.
37. Who did you miss?
My whanau, so far away but always in my heart.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I’m pretty sure I met her this year but it feels like we’ve been friends forever so I’m actually not sure when we first met. I’m talking about my girl Hannah aka Miss Glamour LaRue. She’s a badass body positive babe who enriches my life so much.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
Be careful where you place your trust and invest your time wisely.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Like how a single word
Can make a heart open
I might only have one match
But I can make an explosion
How was your year?
Pick five questions and share your answers in the comments!